Super easy and very delicious, this recipe is by Cliff Pleau from The Athlete’s Palate Cookbook. I used leftovers and substitutions (noted below) and threw it together in about 15 minutes. I skipped the 4 hour marinade and just served it straight away. I also halved the recipe, because I only had 3 ears of corn. This is definitely good enough to serve to guests or recommend to others. So fresh, healthy, and delicious. It has a bit of a kick… Half or eliminate the spices for the kiddos as noted below!
Makes 8 cups.
- 1 Tablespoon extra version olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 7 ears of corn, roasted (grill in husks – strings and all – until hot and husks are browned)
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 red bell pepper, roasted and diced (or raw tomato)
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped cilantro (or parsley)
- 1/4 cup lime juice (I only had 1/4 lime from my corona lights; squeezed it in)
- 2 teaspoons blackening spice or chili powder (half or eliminate to bring down heat)
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce (half or eliminate to bring down heat)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 Haas avocados, peeled, pitted, cut in chunks
Heat the oil in a saute pan over medium high heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring frequently until the garlic is golden brown, 1-2 minutes.
Remove the garlic form the heat and place it in a medium bowl. Add the corn, beans, red pepper, cilantro, lime juice, blackening spice, cumin, hot sauce, and salt. Stir together until well combined. Gently fold in the chunks of avocado.
Let the salad marinate for 4 hours before serving (or not).
Per serving: 216 calories, 7g protein, 32g carb, 9g fat