Sometimes I have to make lasagna, and I have to make it fast (don’t ask). This is the fastest, easiest, healthiest, best tasting recipe for that situation. The recipe as it stands it relatively healthy, but I have noted even healthier options with an asterisk (*).
- 1 lb lean ground beef (*could substitute 1 lb ground turkey)
- 3 cups spaghetti sauce (I like either 1 jar of Whole Foods 365 Classic Organic -or- 1 jar of Newman’s Own Sauce. I’m kinda picky about the sauce, but I have used Ragu before, and it turns out okay.)
- 1 cup tomato sauce (from the can or whatever)
- 15 oz. low fat ricotta cheese (*could substitute 15 oz. of 1% or 2% cottage cheese – before using cottage cheese, let it sit in a colander in the sink for about 10 minutes to let it drain)
- 1 package frozen spinach, thawed and drained (I buy organic if I can find it – I never measure this – I just put the whole package in no matter how big)
- 1 egg, slightly beaten (* could substitute 2 egg whites)
- ½ teaspoon dried basil leaves
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 12 pieces oven ready lasagna (the kind you don’t have to boil)
- 2-4 cups shredded low fat mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. In a large skillet, cook the meat until browned. Remove from heat. Drain. Stir in spaghetti sauce and tomato sauce.
3. Stir together ricotta, spinach, egg, basil and oregano.
4. In a 13x9x2″ baking dish, start the layering…
a. First spread about ¾ cup sauce in the dish
b. Then place 3 pieces uncooked pasta – do not overlap – follow package directions as needed.
c. Spread 2/3 cup ricotta mixture over pasta.
d. Sprinkle some mozzarella on top – I never measure this.
e. Repeat steps a-d two more times.
f. Top with one more layer of pasta (optional), one more layer of sauce, and one more layer of mozzarella.
5. Cover with foil. Bake 30 minutes. Remove foil. Bake 10-15 more minutes until hot and bubbly. Let stand 5 minutes.
Recipe can be made ahead and stored in the refrigerator for 24 hours or the freezer for 2 months. For best results when storing in the freezer, wrap first with plastic wrap then with foil. Make sure you remove the plastic wrap before baking! 🙂
I loved the lasagna recipe! Do you have the nutritional info for it?
How many people does this feed?
It serves 8.