Makes 12 bars.
For the crust
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, cut into bits
For the topping:
- 1 1/2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon double acting baking powder
- 3 large eggs, beaten lightly
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups coursely chopped hazlenuts, toasted
- Make the crust: In a bowl whisk together the flour, the brown sugar, and the salt, add the butter, and blend the mixture until it resembles meal. Press the mixture onto the bottom of a baking pan, 13 x 9 x 2″, and bake the crust in the middle of preheated 350 F oven for 12 minutes. Let the crust cool in the pan on a rack.
- Make the topping: In a bowl whisk together the brown sugar, the flour, the baking powder, the eggs, and the vanilla and stir in the hazlenuts.
- Pour the topping evenly over the crust and bake the mixture in the middle of the preheated 350 F oven for 25-30 minutes, or cool until it is golden. Let the mixture cool completely in the pan on a rack and cut it into 12 bars.