This is my favorite sweet potato casserole that I make every year for Thanksgiving.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings as a side dish
- 5 large sweet potatoes (about 3.5 pounds)
- 6 ounces dried apricots (about 1.5 cups)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar (or less to taste)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted lightly
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Prick potatoes and bake in middle of oven for 1.5 hours, or until very soft. Scoop flesh into a bowl
- In a saucepan cover apricots by 1 inch with cold water and simmer until soft, about 30 minutes. Reserve 2 tablespoons cooking liquid and drain apricots. In a food processor puree apricots with granulated sugar and reserved liquid until smooth.
- Add puree to potatoes with salt to taste and with an electric mixer beat until smooth. Spread mixture in a buttered 2-quart shallow baking dish. Puree may be prepared up to this point 1 day ahead and chilled.
- Reduce oven temperature to 400 degrees F.
- In a small bowl blend with your fingers flour, brown sugar, butter, pecans and salt to taste until combined well and crumble over puree. Bake puree in middle of oven until heated through and streusel is bubbling, about 15 minutes.
Gourmet Magazine, November 1994