Take along a selection of the best of all the season’s crispest apple varieties that are available in your market. Accompany them wtih these deliciously decadent squares.
Makes 16 two-inch squares.
- 3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 2/3 cup, packed, dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tablespoon bourbon whiskey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coursely chopped pecans
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Generously butter an 8-inch square pan. In a large bowl, stir together the flour and baking powder. Set aside. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan. Stir in the sugar. Cook over low heat, stirring, until the sugar is completely melted and the mixture is smooth and shiney. Cool for 5 minutes.
- Beat in the egg, bourbon and vanilla. Stir in the flour mixture and the nuts. Stir in the chips. Spread the batter int he prepared pan. Bake 25 minutes.
- Cool in the pan, then cut into 2-inch squares.